Are you currently working overseas but are a United States (U.S.) resident? Maybe you’re studying in a foreign company, but you may still be classified as a US resident. If you’re looking to claim income tax treaty benefits or certain other tax benefits, you may be required to provide proof of US residency. If this is the case, a US residency certificate can be obtained by completing and submitting the IRS form 8802.
Your form 8802 will need to be completed and returned to the IRS in order to receive your certificate. To ensure your form 8802 is sent and received by the IRS securely, we recommended choosing to fax your IRS form 8802 via Faxaroo.
What is a U.S. residency certification?
Many foreign countries require tax withholding on certain types of income paid from sources within those countries to U.S. entities, even if the recipient is a tax-exempt organisation for U.S. income purposes. If there is an active income tax treaty between the U.S. and the foreign country, this may reduce or eliminate tax completely. To take advantage of this, you may need to prove your U.S. residency via a U.S. residency certification.
As defined by the University of Alabama, a U.S. residency certification (or form 6166) is a letter printed on U.S. Department of Treasury stationary that certifies that you are a listed resident of the United States for the purpose of U.S. taxation for the year indicated. Form 8802 is used to request form 6166. You can read more about form 8802 on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8802
How to send your IRS form 8802 via Faxaroo
Sending your form 8802 via Faxaroo is simple. You first need to look at the requirements for sending the user fee payment electronically, which can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-8802-application-for-united-states-residency-certification-additional-certification-requests
- You can fax up to 10 Forms 8802 (including all required attachments) up to a maximum of 100 pages
- You must include a fax cover sheet stating the number of pages included in the transmission
- Upload your form 8802 to Faxaroo’s secure web portal
You can do this by selecting the document from your device or using our easy drop and drag feature. Faxaroo supports multiple file formats including PDF, PNG, GIF and JPEG, so you can simply save your form 8802 as a document and send a fax to the IRS without worrying about incompatibility issues.
2. From the drop-down menu, select the USA and enter the correct IRS fax number for your form 8802 submission.
Be sure to include the area code followed by the fax number to ensure the fax is sent successfully. The following two fax numbers can be used, depending on where you currently reside:
- 877-824-9110 (within the United States only, toll-free)
- 304-707-9792 (inside or outside the United States, not toll-free)
3. Select your payment method.
Once you’ve entered the correct IRS fax number to send your form 8802, the final step is to confirm payment. Faxaroo accepts payment via Visa or Mastercard. You’ll only be charged per page sent. Once you’ve entered your payment details and reviews your fax, hit send and we’ll take care of the rest. You’ll receive an automated email confirmation once your fax has been sent successfully.
Why send your IRS form 8802 via Faxaroo?
There are many reasons as to why sending your form 8802 via Faxaroo instead of email or snail mail is the better alternative.
- Security – sending your fax via email or through the post is insecure, whereas with Faxaroo, faxes are encrypted and processed via TLS encryption for ultimate security, giving you peace of mind. Faxes are also automatically deleted from Faxaroo’s system once they’ve been sent.
- Verification – receive verification of successful fax delivery, so you know that your form 8802 has been sent successfully. Print or save your confirmation for future reference.
- Reliability – better than wondering if your email has landed in the correct inbox, or if your post documents have gotten lost. Sending your IRS form via Faxaroo is a reliable way to get your sensitive information where it needs to go, fast.
- Availability – as you’re applying for a U.S. residency certificate, you’re clearly overseas. Faxaroo makes it easy to send your form 8802 to the IRS no matter where you are, what time it is and what device you’re using.
- Compatibility – Faxaroo supports multiple file formats including PDF, PNG, GIF, JPEG.
- Cost – Faxaroo’s competitive pricing means it’s the cheapest way to send your form 8802 to the IRS. Forget printing a bunch of pages and wasting money on paper and ink, sending your form 8802 only costs USD $2 for the first page and USD $1.50 for each additional page. Perfect for once-off faxes.
Send your 8802 form to the IRS today
Ready to get your U.S. residency certificate? Send your form 8802 to the IRS via Faxaroo’s simple online self-service portal today.